Thursday, June 10, 2010

The slip and fall

Last night we went out as a group to a restaurant called Max Brenner's which is known for it's chocolate. We really went for dessert but started with a light dinner. I shared a delicious peanut butter chocolate euphoria sundae with a colleague (yes, it was really called that one the menu), which we thoroughly enjoyed.

It was raining like crazy, so we were already a little wet as we entered the crowded subway with people heading home for the night. I went to slide my metrocard through and it said I didn't have enough money, so I turned around to go put more on my card. Because the ground was tile and extremely wet and because I was wearing my rainbow sandals (awful on the floor when wet), before I knew it, I was in midair. I thought for a moment that I was able to catch myself from falling, but no such luck. Smack! I hit the wet ground with no warning and no time to brace myself. I landed on the hard tile, hitting my hip, elbow and knee simultaneously, and no joke, the whole crowd went, "Oooh!". By this time all of my friends were to the other side. As I was trying to get reoriented and not to cry, I kept hearing this one highschool guy say, "I missed it! I didn't see it!", which at first annoyed me a bit, but then I started to think was funny. I kept reminding myself that at least I was not old enough looking for people to be really concerned about falling.

There was this one nice angel of a man who came and helped me up and asked me if I was all right. I was so thankful for him because honestly at that point I could use all the help I could get. I told him that I was all right, that I had just slipped, to which he responded, "Yeah, I know." Anyway, it's times like this that surprise me a bit and teach me some too. I really did not feel that embarrassed, which came as a surprise to me. I guess by now I have lived enough life to know that stuff like that happens. To all of us. Maybe not in NY in front of a crowd of people with one dissapointed that they missed your gymnastics, but it does happen to all. And I couldn't get over how thankful I was for that man. I think it will make me more aware of my surroundings when a stranger needs help. I realized that often times people want help even if it is not expressed. I know I did. It makes you feel not so alone. Anyway, I guess these are some of my ponderings as I sit here the next day with my knee and hip and elbow still throbbing. I am secretly hoping that bruises will pop up just so that others know how bad it hurt!!

2 comments:

David said...

Too bad for your slip & fall Jamie.
Glad not too serious.
Time for a new blog you guys.
Check out quartermaster Dave tiny new blog.

David said...

Too bad for your slip & fall Jamie.
Glad not too serious.
Time for a new blog you guys.
Check out quartermaster Dave tiny new blog.