Monday, September 17, 2012

Why is bacon so good?

Saying I don't eat pork, but I eat bacon is about the equivalent to saying I am a vegetarian but I eat fish. But the truth is, I don't eat pork, except bacon. Anything that good is worth eating off any animal. Heck, I would eat oppossum bacon if it tasted that good. I don't much like bacon on it's own (too salty, greasy, and guilt inducing), but IN something, now we're talking. Here is a new recipe I tried tonight and I can't get enough of it. It's BLT pasta. Yum! Bob thinks it's a bit on the girly side since it doesn't have a thick sauce (funny how food can be girly, right?)but I argue that since it has bacon it can be considered gender neutral. Here it is. Please try it, you won't be disappointed: BLT Pasta 6 servings 8 oz bacon 1 box penne pasta 4 tbsp olive oil 1 medium onion, diced 1 bag fresh spinach, roughly chopped 1 bunch red chard, well cleaned, sliced 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved 1/3 cup fresh basil, torn (I used dried) 3 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper 1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling 2. Cook bacon in a large skillet for 10 min over medium heat until just crispy. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Reserve 2 tbsp of the drippings in skillet. 3. Meanwhile cook penne in boiling water for 11 min. Drain. 4. Add 2 tbsp of the olive oil to skillet with bacon drippings. Return to medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Add spinach and chard and cook 4 minutes until wilted. Stir in cherry tomatoes, cook 2 minutes. 5. In a large bowl, toss penne, bacon, spinach mixture, basil, remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, the vinegar, salt and pepper. Enjoy!

No comments: