Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mrs. Mehaffey's Almost Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies

Growing up, my neighbor made these amazing chocolate cookies every year during Christmas season. When I got married she graciously handed over the recipe and it took Bob and I years to get it perfect (it was all about the way things were mixed and cooking time). We make the dough, shape it into balls and freeze it so whenever we need a cookie, we can bake it right up.

Well, when it came to wanting to give a prize for something at school, I thought what better for kiddos than chocolate chip cookies? So I wrapped some up nicely and announced that the prize was "Mrs. Mehaffey's Almost Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies". They laughed. And then they were intrigued.

Upon first taste the girl who won wouldn't stop talking about them and then she decided to share them (they are such generous kids). Anyway, they started asking me if they could have the recipe. I told them that I did not get it until I was getting married and so it would be the same for them. One asked, "What if I don't know you then?" to which I answered, "If you care that much about the cookies, you will keep in touch."

I laughed to myself when later on that day I overheard them talking to each other about wanting to get married that day to get the recipe. Oh how they can make me feel so good about myself.

2 comments:

Carrie Squires said...

so you're just going to leave your readers hanging like that?!? I'm married, can I have the recipe?? :)

lindsay said...

Yeah, me too! I'm married!