Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Night

Well, since I(Bob) was the one who got really frustrated this night, I figure that it would be best told from my point of view. So here goes my first blog post...
After we had stayed at Jamie's Aunt Lissa's house (which was a great time to just relax), we decided to get as far as we could that night so that our drive into Atlanta would not be super long. Great idea right? Wrong.

By about 11:00 we stopped in some small town, but the only place that had room cost too much for us cheapskates, so we decided to go further. We saw a place on the side of the freeway that looked dumpy enough to be within our price range, so we gave it a go and pulled over. Once we got there, it felt a little creepy, but I inquired of the cost nonetheless. The Indian lady who was in charge told me, but did not seem happy about being bothered so late at night. As I was about to give her my credit card, I started to feel reservations, so I looked over at Jamie, whose expression told me no. Since she is not of the type to keep her feelings inside, she said quite to the point that this was not comfortable for her. So, I looked back at the lady and told her that we were going to look around a bit, which of course thrilled her even more.

So now we get to the frustrating part. As soon as I got back into our Penske truck (which I lovingly call "Tweeter") I realized that there was no way for me to be able to turn around in the size of parking lot that they had. Great, I thought, since this thing is almost impossible to back up.

I gave it my best shot, making an extra wide turn in space between cars to give myself the best chance, and started to use my trailer-backing skills. Now, let me just put in here that I have hauled many trailers in my work with youth groups, going to the river for vacations, and helping other people move, so I am not a novice at this by any means. What I soon discovered is that this trailer is literally impossible to back up in the opposite direction from which it is already facing. If you would like me to explain this to you, I can, but will spare all of the other readers from my prideful tirade.

Anyway, it got to the point where I realized that I was going to have to unhook the car from the trailer, move it off of it, unhook the trailer from the truck, move it into its proper place, then rehook it to the truck, then move the car back on, and then rehook the car up to the trailer, all in this parking lot of a creepy, dumpy (even too much so for us to stay in) motel. Also keep in mind that it is now about 11:30 at night.

Needless to say my language and temperament was not of the best quality. Jamie, starting to think that this is all funny, then decides to start taking pictures of this whole scene instead of trying to help her poor, angry husband. While the lady who managed the place, a few residents who came out to hear what all of the 'ruckus' was about, and my wife turned photographer watched, I proceeded to do all of this work, as sweat and curses fell from my face, with the final result being that I got everything turned around only to have to drive another hour or so to find a motel that we finally stayed in that night. Here are the pictures that illustrate this story better than I can describe it in words.

In a nutshell, it was a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad night... for me. For Jamie, it was alot of laughs, pictures, and funny memories. Ha Freaking Ha is what I say.







No comments: