Saturday, April 17, 2010

New Orleans

I was very brave and tried a lot of new foods on the trip--catfish (had to purposefully NOT think about its whiskers, that it lives in nasty marshes, that it is a bottom dweller, etc.), crab, rabbit, gumbo, jambalya. This sandwich was pictured on the wall in a restaurant. Definitely was not that daring.
We visited a plantation and got a tour of the area. This is oak alley, properly named for the oaks that lead down to a river. Of course we got a mint julep as we walked around the site.

We went to a bar where they were having this dueling pianos sort of thing. My brother and I were the youngest there by at least 10 years! This is a picture of my dad and his friend's reflection in the piano. The sad part of that night was that my brother and I went back to the hotel about 2 hours before my dad and his friend. Hey, I never have claimed to be a party animal.


Of course we had to visit Cafe du Monde for their famous beignets and cafe au lait. Twice. Both right before dinner. Oh, actually 3 times if you count the morning we left and stopped there at 5:30 am to get cafe au laits and beignets to take home to Bob.

This was one of our favorite parts. A street band. Yes, that girl is actually playing a washboard. So cool.




1 comment:

cindy said...

Cafe du Monde!!!! One of my all time favorite places!!! Jim and I went there every morning and a couple of nights when we were in New Orleans to watch Craig play volleyball many years ago. Miss you and Bob, Jamie!!