Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lesson Learned.

Bob and I "saved" this nice restaurant called Canoe for our 5th anniversary dinner because we heard it was good and that a lot of food was local. It had a beautiful atmosphere right on the river, but as soon as we sat down we realized what we really have known all along--that we are NOT gourmet diners. We shared a glass of wine, partly because we always share a glass of wine and partly because we wouldn't spend $20 on two glasses of wine. When we ordered dinner, an awkward conversation began:
Waitress: And what will you have for an appetizer?
Us: Oh, we will pass on the appetizer
Waitress: Well, everyone usually orders an appetizer, so it might take longer for your dinner to come, but I will try my best
Us: Uh, okay
As soon as the waitress left, Bob tells me we should've gone to a place where we would've spent the same amount of money and gotten a lot more. BBQ or Mexican food we decided. When our "gourmet" plates came, although looking very beautiful, we were reminded again. We hate to eat a whole meal and still go home feeling hungry. We are the people who like the thought of dressing up and going out somewhere nice, but in reality, not so much. I want to eat to my hearts content, have leftovers and enjoy it all over again. And I don't want it to matter if I spill on myself, because you know I will. On the way home, we picked up brownies and a movie. When we got home we changed into our PJs and back into ourselves. Lesson learned.







2 comments:

Tony and Cindy said...

Ha ha! That is such a great story. I guess we are the total opposite from you guys- for our anniversary we went to a similar restaurant where we had multiple courses and different wine pairings for each course. We loved it! Isn't it awesome how God made us all so different from each other, yet still able to be friends and in the same family of Christ?

Jamie Mehaffey said...

Cindy! It is so good to hear from you and see your blog. Glad you are doing well! Yes, I guess you could call us "cheap", or really we just like to spend money on different things. I had fun looking at your blog too!
-Jamie