Monday, November 22, 2010

Romantic and historic Savannah

Bob and I have been wanting to go to Savannah since we moved here so since tennis season is over until the new year, last weekend was the perfect time. This place is serene and will probably be a vacation spot for us for years to come.

The beautiful trees invite you to just come and sit. I have taken to sketching in the last few months and it was so peaceful to just sit with a cup of coffee and sketch this amazing life that God has created. The Spanish moss just adds to the depth of it. Since I have been sketching and do not have much artistic ability, I have learned to appreciate the complexity of things so much more. You can see in this picture that the tree has so much detail, but there are so many more things beyond what you see when just glancing at it that need to be sketched. I found the bark itself to be so intricate as well as the form of the moss. The trees were one of our favorite parts of the town.

We found a quaint coffee shop that served the delicious meal above. We sat and ate and read stories. This meal became the inspiration for our Christmas Eve meal that we will plan to have in about a month.

Savannah is known for being haunted-- a fun little fact that speaks more of the historical nature of the area, with many cemetaries and key figures buried there. We decided to go on one of the many ghost tours they offered and heard legendary stories as well as historical facts along the way. It was a good chance to walk around and see the city at night.
When we first got to Savannah I told Bob that I wanted to move there but quickly changed my mind when we saw a ghost on the tour!--Just kidding, I quickly changed my mind when I found out the historic district costs $1 million per 1,000 sq ft. That's a lot of money for a little bit of land--so I decided we will just stick to vacationing there.


No comments: