Thursday, April 14, 2011

Getting crunchy

Georgia is definitely not known as a granola culture place where people are concerned with health food, or even health in general. I saw a sign the other day that said that part of being southern means that you think macaroni and cheese is a vegetable. Even when vegetables are served they are slathered with butter and cream. I am not sure if that cancels out the health benefits, but regardless getting good food for your body is not on the top of the list. So the fact that I have started to lean a little on the crunchy side strikes me as interesting. However, just like anywhere, there are pockets of almost any passion that one can have. I have met some fun friends and come across books and stores that allow me to feed this interest. Did I mention before that I am doing a 90 day fast from shopping-- this includes shopping from clothes and home goods (throw pillows are my drug of choice). So in some ways I have definitely seen this bleed over into grocery shopping. I have always loved shopping for food because within reason, you don't have to justify to yourself or your husband spending money on food. I mean, afterall, we do have to eat. But now that money is not going to my other shopping bad habits, I have found a passion called Dekalb Farmer's Market. This awesome indoor market brings in foods from all over but I have particularly fallen in love with their whole grains and beans in bulk. These are inexpensive and organic thingfs like oats, wheat, millet, dried pintos, kidneys, etc. There are also all sorts of spices and fresh pasta (not dried) that is to die for. We have also enjoyed buying free range meats that were humanely raised. I have really loved having the time to learn more about these things and to use them. It is a much less expensive way to shop for organics to buy in dried bulk but it means a couple of things. You definitely have to plan ahead to make meals because if you decide 10 minutes before dinner that you want a bean and cheese burrito, well you pretty much have to either have a crunchy one or make it a quesadilla. You also have to have to learn about different ways to use the grains or have a way to make them into flour. Learning about whole grains freshly ground into flour has been really interesting to me. I've heard before that you've really become a homeschool family when you grind your own flour to make bread. Well, I must be official now because I made my own bread today. Unfortunately, I don't have my own grain mill (they are a whopping $250 new-- a bit less than that used) but I do have a friend with a Vitamix, the awesome blender that has its own superpowers. So she let me use it today to grind some grains and beans to make Ezekiel bread. The bread is amazing! If you have ever had Ezekiel bread from the store it tends to be a little dry, but this bread is not in the slightest. It has a slightly sweet taste and has the texture and density of cornbread. I was so pleased with it! I also have some other wheat that I am going to make into a loaf. I have been baking so much bread lately that our freezer and fridge are packed to the max (including other things of course--man cannot live by bread alone). I was so proud of myself last week when I made Bob's breakfast bread of choice--whole grain English muffins. We have been buying them at the store for years and I was able to make them for way less and they taste just as good. However, I need to work on the size of them (he has to eat two or three instead of the usual one). So now I am begging for a grain mill for something, anything... I have been trying to persuade Bob it is a good half birthday gift (May 11 for anyone who wants to know) but he keeps trying to convince me (I'm not buying it) that my family was the only one that celebrated half birthdays. I think you've got to milk anything for all it's worth. Am I allowed to receive a gift in celebration of Bob graduating? I found one on Craig's list for $165 which is a great deal compared to the new price but I am trying to find a way to a) convince myself this is a worthwhile purchase--I think I am almost there and b) convincing my husband--the scary part! Last time I was faced with a big purchase like this in deciding on getting a KitchenAid, my parents got it for me and it turned out to be the best gift I have ever received (besides my hubby and the ring he gave me). I would even still say that if I had been the one forking over the dough, figuratively speaking :) I have also started making my own kefir, which is like a liquidy yogurt, from kefir grains given to me by a friend and I've been sprouting some lentils as well. It has been fun to go back to much of the original ways things were made and eaten. I do understand and appreciate the convenience that the pre-made stuff can bring, especially when people don't have the same kind of time on their hands that I do. But there is something so satisfying for me about making something from scratch, learning how to do what the store has done for us for years for much more money. Maybe I should take all the money I am saving and put it toward a grain mill. Ha! I would love to hear some things you have made from scratch that made you feel proud and saved you a pretty penny.

1 comment:

Denise and Mike Meacham said...

Hey Jamie! It's Denise (Tollefson) Meacam, your mom gave me your blog address last week. I can't believe I didn't know about it all this time :) Fun to read some of your older posts and see what you guys have been up to. Re: this post...I made all my own organic baby food. I saved a lot of money and loved knowing exactly what ingredients Wes was eating and where they came from. And I loved not having to throw away all those glass jars! Plus they don't sell curried parsnips or pureed brussel sprouts at Babies R Us :) Glad you guys are doing well!