Thursday, July 14, 2011

Be Still My Soul

We went to a Wednesday night service at a beloved church the other night, where they set aside the whole time for space to listen to God, journal, pray, and hear music (no preaching). At the end, they sang this song and I was so moved by it. After I told Bob that I often feel that sometimes my anxieties take over what my soul knows as truth, and you do have to commit your soul to be still and remember.

Here are the lyrics and below is a link to the song:

"Be Still, My Soul"by Catharina von Schlegel, 1697-?Translated by Jane Borthwick, 1813-1897

1. Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;Leave to thy God to order and provide;In every change He faithful will remain.Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, FriendThrough thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

2. Be still, my soul; thy God doth undertakeTo guide the future as He has the past.Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake;All now mysterious shall be bright at last.Be still, my soul; the waves and winds still knowHis voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.

3. Be still, my soul, though dearest friends departAnd all is darkened in the vale of tears;Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,Who comes to soothe thy sorrows and thy fears.Be still, my soul; thy Jesus can repayFrom His own fulness all He takes away.

4. Be still, my soul; the hour is hastening onWhen we shall be forever with the Lord,When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.Be still, my soul; when change and tears are past,All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9zHn4QSH-8

May your soul be still today even in the midst of whatever is going on.

No comments: