Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Raw oatmeal

I know that oatmeal is good for you, but I have always found it too high maintenance for a breakfast food. Instant oatmeal has basically been depleted of all that might be healthy, not to mention the flavored ones that add in all that sugar. And when I have tried to make oats on the stovetop or in the microwave, I always end up with an overflow of mess when it boils over. Then it is too hot to eat so I have to wait for it to cool down. It then usually cools down too much and becomes hard. See what I mean, high maintenance.

A few months ago a found a recipe on a blog for raw oatmeal. I wasn't so sure about it but liked the idea. Just a few weeks ago, I tried it out and have been eating it almost every day since. I have kind of made up my own version that I want to share with you:

First, for one serving you soak 1/2 cup oats in water overnight (I usually store it in the fridge, but am not sure if you have to). In the morning you dump out some of the excess water and put oats in a food processor with anything else you would like in your oatmeal. I usually include a dash of vanilla almond milk, almonds, walnuts, flax seed, agave nectar, and cinnamon. Then you process it until the items are blended together and look like creamy oatmeal, put in a bowl and serve. It is delicious and has made the perfect summer breakfast because it is cool and healthy. I guess if you wanted it hot you could put in in the microwave for a tad, but then it wouldn't be "raw" anymore. Happy eating!

1 comment:

Cheri said...

I've had the same issues with oatmeal. I can't tell you how many mornings I've been delayed by cleaning the microwave after an oatmeal erruption! I did find a great recipe for cooking it in the crockpot overnight so that it's ready for morning. Really yummy & not too messy or too hot. Of course, if it is too hot for your initial liking, just do what my kids do...put your justserved bowl in the "anti-microwave" (aka the freezer) for one minute.