Monday, August 1, 2011

Sabbath

I think we had a perfect Saturday. It started when some of Bob's colleagues and their wives asked us to go on a bike ride with them. And this wasn't just a casual stroll of a bike ride. We rode 16 miles, dodging construction and other sorts of obstacles along the way. The best part about a bike ride is that although it is exercise, you don't realize it (until after when you are sore all over and cannot walk). The other best part is that you can talk to the people you are with. Unlike running, where every ounce of breathe is needed to finish. So in the couple of hours that we rode, I got to personally talk with every person on the trek. What a great way to get to know someone!

We weren't quite as "experienced" of riders. I didn't know bike riding was so technical, since about everyone learns it at the age of five. We did not have padding on our shorts, so our bums got sore faster, we did not have helmets, which was actually fine with me since we never fell and I still think they are so dorky, and we did not have a place to hold water bottles on our bikes. So, luckily our friends shared the water they had. Dehydration is bad on a long bike ride in the summer in Georgia.

We took a pitstop to enjoy some homemade blueberry muffins, made with fresh ground wheat from a food mill. Yes! Then all the men and women tried to convince Bob why we needed to get a mill, which is what I have been trying to tell him for months. The muffins sold themselves, really, but the help of everyone else didn't hurt. I think we are one step closer.

At the end of our ride, I had a near death experience with my chain falling off while I shifted gears. Not really near death I guess, but embarassing. Everyone else was way up ahead and Bob had to come back and get me. After we finished and got our land legs back, we went to McDonald's (I know) for a smoothie. After getting over the fact that we were investing money to that establishment, I admitted I really did enjoy the smoothie. Probably because it has more sugar than an ice cream cone, but it was good. And I didn't feel guilty because I had just biked 16 miles, which probably sounds like nothing to a REAL biker. We had such a great time that I hope every Saturday involves a hard, fun workout with fun people.

Bob and I then made our way to Costco, which is my favorite place to go on a spontaneous date. After loading up with samples and goodies, we made it home just in time to get rained on when we unloaded our stuff. We spent the afternoon reading Harry Potter, our new obsession (I know we are late in the game), cooked lots of food and rested. On the Sabbath. It was awesome. I wish every Saturday could be as fun and restful.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

you forgot to mention how your friend Carrie came over and brought yummy raisin bread. :)