Thursday, July 3, 2008

parenthood--the biggest act of selflessness


Our nephew's birthday was on Saturday so we spent the night with them on Friday, hanging out and helping them get ready for the party Saturday afternoon. When my sister and I got back from the market, the boys were playing Life. Not so ironically, Bob happened to have $100,000 to pay back in college loans on a $20,000 a year salary. We laughed and groaned about how that stupid game mockingly mirrored our own life. Although, really, it's not that bad.


Saturday morning when the boys all woke up they huddled around the computer and played Pimp my Chimp where you dress up a chimpanzee in sweet clothes and if you get the right combination, he gets a ride in a pimped out car (don't ask me, maybe it's a guy thing (?)). Anyway, it is so precious for me to see Bob with children and I am looking forward to having our own someday. Someday in the future. The far far future. Even a day with them reminded me how selfless a job that is, and I can't say I am ready for that. I am so selfish with my time with Bob that I am not yet ready to share in that with children. So kudos to all of you out there with kids, giving up of yourselves day in and day out. Hanging around you has taught me what a beautiful and frightful thing parenthood is.

No comments: