Saturday, July 5, 2008

the sacrifice


Have you really thought about what makes up your down comforters or pillows? It is easy to just enjoy the squishy comfort as you slowly sink into the encompassing bliss created by down items. This is precisely what I was doing the other night. Enjoying my favorite couch pillow. Not only do I love how it feels when my head touches it, but I love the look of the outside as well. It just makes me happy. It is so tempting to nap on and I have to admit, that although I told Bob when we got married that naps were forbidden on this pillow because of the drool factor (this pillow was too expensive to be salivated upon), I have snuck in a few naps on this rectangular wonder. Anyway, while enjoying my favorite couch pillow and a good book, I noticed a prick in the head. I ignored it at first but when it got to be too much, I sat up grudgingly looking for the culprit. There it was, the end of a feather sticking out of the pillow. It was too late to shove it back in, so I pulled it out, wondering how much one feather would affect the comfort of this feather-stuffed pillow. And I couldn't help but wonder the sacrifice that geese make, giving up their feathers for our enjoyment. So I just wanted to personally thank those animals for their contribution to my favorite pillow. Maybe next time when I see them at the park, I will feed them an extra piece of bread (even though they scare me).

No comments: