Monday, July 14, 2008

a trip to the dog park

I was feeling somewhat moody yesterday and Bob and I decided that a trip to the dog park might be just the thing to cheer me up. For years we have been visiting the pet store when we needed a pick me up and thought we would step it up a notch. Upon arrival we second guessed ourselves, becoming self-conscious that we were the ONLY ones there without a dog (which makes sense, because really, why would you come to the dog park if you don't have a dog?). But once we got in the gate and over the strong smell of urine, we sat down on a bench and fit in with all of the dog owners (except for the fact that we still didn't have a dog). Okay, so I thought that airports were amusing watching all of the people, but this was pretty comparable. Dogs definitely have their own personalities too. We saw so many funny things happen that night, including a dog taking out a man when he wasn't looking by running into his knees. When they yelped in unison, Bob and I couldn't help ourselves but to laugh aloud. Dog parks really are a world of their own. I didn't think I would ever be a dog park person, but apparently I must be since we found ourselves going there unaccompanied by a canine. The highlight of my night was when a cute little puppy entered. My eyes locked on him and at that point I didn't doubt for a second whether or not it was a good idea to come. Bob and I went over to him and he came running to me. We played for a bit until a man asked if the puppy was ours to which we replied, "We wish." I quickly got out of the conversation, fearful that the man would ask which dog was ours and we would have to tell him that we didn't own one. At the end of our time, we had one final bridge to cross, getting over our embarassment again and walking out of the gate without a dog. As we were leaving, we discussed how much fun we came and Bob said we should come back again. I told him I don't know if that would be a good idea. We might be looked at as those creepy people that come to the bark park to play with other people's dogs. Walking away with our hands all drooled upon was enough for me at that moment. Until next time!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

kind of like babysitting....you can give them back when you are done!!!

alison said...

stick with dog parks... i think you could be arrested if it were a people park