Tuesday, July 15, 2008

sad day




Today was a sad day in the life of Bob. For me, it was chalked up as a victory. I think. Bob loves our spoon rest which he endearingly called the Fat Chef. It broke today. This is the spoon rest that Bob and I argued over when we were registering for our dishes. The conversation between us about 3 1/2 years ago went something like this:




Bob (with the registering gun in his hand): We have to get this spoon rest. Look how awesome it is!


me: It is not awesome, it is weird, and it doesn't go with the genre of our kitchen.


Bob: There is a genre to a kitchen?


me: Yes, and this spoon rest does not fit.


Bob: So, let's get it anyway, it won't hurt to have one thing different.


me: Yes it does, and besides it is ugly.


Bob (scanning the chef with the gun): Let's just register for it and see if someone gets it for us.


me: Okay, but we will probably just return it if someone dares to buy it for us.




When walking out of the store and looking over our new exciting registry list, I noticed that not only had Bob registered for one of the chef spoon rests, but seven!




Well years later, this thing has become dear to both of our hearts, so today when I found it crushed in the bottom of the sink, my immediate response was one of sadness. But there is also a small part of me that feels like I somehow won the battle. Finally. Now we just have to decide whether to glue the original back together or to find another similar to the Fat Chef. Because truly, our oventop would somehow seem vacant now with a spoonrest that actually fits our kitchen's genre.

4 comments:

Cheri said...

So, being the personal shopper that I am...I googled fat chef spoon rest to see what I'd find. If you thought Bob's choice was weird, wait 'til you see your options!

Jennie said...

sounds like a great birthday or anniversary gift to me!

Chris said...

See, you really did need 7 of them!

Tracy said...

Such a poor "boo boo" face on Bob. It almost brought me to tears.