Friday, September 18, 2009

Bodies Exhibit




I love gross things. Always have. I've always said that I could've been a nurse except for the throw-up part, that is where I draw the line. But blood, guts, love all that stuff. When we were in CA I had wanted to see the Bodies Exhibit in LA, but we didn't get to it. So you can imagine my excitement when I saw that it was in Atlanta. This became another touristy thing to add to our list. Bob, however, does not like gross things and was not nearly as enthusiastic as me.
But, again, since we like free things, he could not turn down the free tickets that one of my colleagues gave me (thanks, Karin!). So we were off on a Friday afternoon to go look at some bodies preserved with silicon--in ways you've never seen silicon used before.
I was in awe. Muscles, bone, veins, everything that you've seen in drawings or on TV, you now got to see firsthand. (As a side note, which is probably TMI, let me just say that I am glad we ate lunch first, especially for Bob's sake, because for a while after you couldn't really look at meat the same.)
I am not an avid museum attendee, but I was reading every caption and having a really hard time not touching the things on display. Bob, on the other hand, was moving a bit faster than I was and would periodically sit down on a bench and wait for me. It was so real and I just couldn't believe that we had access to it. At the end I even got to hold a plasticized liver. It felt like a candle, or hard silly putty.
I am so amazed at God's careful work in all he does and how utterly strong yet fragile we are.
I would highly suggest viewing this exhibit if it comes to your area, and I in fact, may go again. But this time I am sure I will have to go by myself.


2 comments:

Jennie said...

I HATE gross things, but LOVED this exhibit. Devin and I went a few years ago and we were all very surprise at how well I did....who knew! Glad you liked it too!

Libby said...

We took 5th graders to that exhibit in June of '08. It was amazing!