Friday, September 18, 2009

Maseca!

This post is dedicated to any of you who have sat through the California Adventure Mission Tortilla Factory kids' video countless times just to get your free tortilla at the end. I am a sucker for free things, and so I have seen my fair share of that video, probably to the point that I am mouthing the words as I am watching it. My favorite part, of course, (whose isn't it?) is when they say Maseca!

Well, we actually have Maseca on hand for the few times we have attempted to make papusas, an El Salvadorian dish that stuffs meat, beans, etc. into the flour. We haven't yet mastered papusa making, but the Maseca did come in real handy last night when the unopened package of tortillas I pulled out of the refrigerator were covered in mold. Yes unoped. Yes refrigerated. I guess it was just meant to be that I try my hand at making homemade tortillas. So I whipped together a batch of tortilla dough and made real-life homemade tortillas for our enchiladas. A little small and a tad thick (probably because I don't have a tortilla press, so used a pan instead to flatten those suckers out), but still quite delicious if I say so myself.

1 comment:

ayates said...

my kids love saying that word...especially Jeffrey. ;-)