Saturday, June 9, 2012

The last hurrah--or rather the change into a new kind of hurrah

 We have been trying to take little trips here and there because we know our lives are going to change somewhat in the next few weeks. A while back, Bob went on a camping trip with some guys while I went to the beach with the girls. He called it the Last Hurrah, which of course I thought was so dramatic. Maybe I'm naive but I think you can pretty much strap a baby to you and take it (almost) anywhere. Anyway, we decided for the two of us to take our last trip before baby together to none other than Athens, GA, known for being the home of the UGA bulldogs. There is not much reason that we picked this city other than the fact that it is close--I didn't want a far trip in the car, and we hadn't been there yet.
 Mostly we just hung around, walked, ate, rested and swam. It was a really relaxing trip and the getaway that we needed. We went to the Farmer's market and sat for a long time listening to the cute bluegrass band that was playing. We watched movies in our hotel and really just enjoyed being together.

 We visited the botanical gardens and walked around until my oversized body got way too hot and tired!
 On the last day, we went on a hike starting from a nature center nearby. It was so serene, we didn't see anyone else out on the hike except for the little critters that lived there. It was such a realization for me that my body is just changing. My mind wanted to do the 5 mile hike but my body told me that 2 would be plenty.
 We must both be becoming very contemplative these days because we found a bridge that overlooked the lily pads below and just sat there staring at them and the wind in the trees and talking for a long time. It may have been one of my favorite parts.
I am so thankful we have had 7 years together before this upcoming birth and I love the way that the Lord has written our story, although very painful at times. We are looking forward to parenting together and continuing to enjoy the new stages.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You look great for being 9 months pregnant!! So glad you and Bob got to get away before baby comes. Looks like you had a great time being together!