Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Nursery Reveal

 Welcome to the Mehaffey baby gender neutral nursery! So many people seem to be confused as to how to create a gender neutral room, to which I always thought, I do that with all the other rooms in my house anyway. Well here, is our best attempt. Sorry that some of the pictures are so blurry. We are blessed with many beautiful things that people made or gave to us.
 Here is the crib. We bought it off Craigslist for pretty cheap and are happy with it. The bedskirt is burlap and I really like it. If we have a girl, I am going to make fabric flowers to put on the bedskirt. Thanks to pinterest, I have many great ideas that I could never come up with on my own.
 I sort of gave you a panoramic of the room starting with the crib on the left side as you walk in the door and moving around...
 I absolutely LOVE this changing table/dresser. The family that I tutored for this year gave it to me and it was navy blue. I painted it my favorite color for furniture and added knobs. I think it turned out great. I got that cute basket from a shower (I registered for it at target in case you want one too). The changing pad is waiting for a beige polka dot cover. We are planning on doing cloth diapers as much as we can. I am going to have a lot to learn!!
 My parents bought us the rocking chair for Christmas. It is a great size and very comfortable. So very generous of them. The picture hanging above the chair will be in a series of 3 shortly. That one is baby's first picture--the ultrasound at 7 weeks old. We will also have a maternity picture and then a picture of our family once the baby is born.
 Here is the letter wall idea I got from pinterest and absolutely love. Thanks to many of you who helped decorate them at my California shower, it is one of my favorite parts of the room, adding color and fun! Well done, everyone.
 We had the bookshelf already and it worked perfectly for this room. I have many many books, even more in the attic upstairs. Most of them are from my childhood since my mom saved them and passed them on to me.
 Above the baby's crib we have hung a few letters and hymns. The letters are random but the hymns are not. We thought they would be good ones to remember and sing, such as I Surrender All.
 Here is a closer up version of the picture I was mentioning.
 Here is the closet. Our baby doesn't have very many clothes, of course, because that is a bit more difficult to go gender neutral on. We've packed the cutest boy and girl outfits we have for the ride home from the hospital, but will make additions, you know, once we know the baby's style.
 Handy filing thingy in the closet. Not sure why I thought you'd want to see this...
 This is the beautiful bassinet my sister Leslie sent to me. She bought it for one of her twins 18 years ago and has been passing it to the twins' cousins ever since. It was so thoughtful of her to send it to me from CA. Right now it is in our room but may end up moving downstairs.
 Every child who has used it has a plaque with his/her name on it. It is really special and I am so glad she was able to do this. Thanks Leslie!
So there it is! The main additions needed: I am thinking of burlap curtains, but am not sure. Would love your input. Adding a few pictures once they are taken. A few more outfits. And of course a BABY!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this post with the baby room details! Great job on staying gender neutral...Love the ABCs on the wall- so glad I was able to contribute to Baby M's room (I did the 'Z'). Can't wait to meet the baby...hang in there these last few weeks!

Denise and Mike Meacham said...

Everything looks great! Love seeing the letter wall, and the burlap skirt, so cute! Baby will definitely make it complete :)

Jennie said...

What a perfect room. I remember just sitting in the baby's room for hours staring at the crib, picturing what it would be like once it was complete with a baby. I am so excited for you and Bob and the big things that are happening!!! Babe mehaffey is loved dearly already, can't wait to meet the precious one.

lindsay said...

Hi Jamie! I've been keeping up with your blog since you and Bob moved. I would love to write you more through an email if you're up for it! Please email me at lindsay.murad@gmail.com. PS Josh and I are expecting our first baby this November. : ) And we're waiting until delivery to find out the gender also.