Thursday, June 12, 2008

NOT a runner

I have been walking almost every morning now with a group of friends for about a year and a half. Lately, though, I have had the urge to run. Maybe because it is a quick way to tone or workout, but I haven't done it because I have been walking. Well, this morning I went out alone and decided that I would run instead. After about a block (okay, maybe it was half a block), I quickly remembered why I never liked running in the first place. It is just not fun-- and I know that if I don't enjoy the exercise I do, that I won't do it. I really believe that people were built as runners or they weren't. I recognized that I wasn't years ago when I ran my first mile in 5th grade at the not-so-marathon-worthy pace of 12 minutes. Well, now I can walk a mile that fast and it feels good. As walkers, my group has had many people say to us, "Walkers just look so happy, they're the only people still smiling at the end of marathons." And that's how I feel. My love for walking was rekindled once again this morning.

One of my runner friends once told me that I would enjoy running if I could just make it to my second wind. I don't think I have one of those. And even if I do, I don't intend to run long enough to find out.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I don't think I have a first wind, much less a second wind to find....I'm with you- I'll stick to walking!