Saturday, June 21, 2008

sized up


The Running Lab is this awesome athletic store in Old Towne Orange where they do all of these tests on you to see what kind of shoe will best go with your feet and the way your body moves. Part of this test was making a carbon copy of how your feet step. Pretty good lookin' feet, huh? (You can decide whether I am talking about the carbon copy of my feet or those of my husband in the rainbows). When they had me walk to the door and back repeatedly my huband asked if I felt like a runway model, to which I answered, "Not really." Perhaps this is because I am such a realist that even though a few paparazzi (okay, shoe fitters) were watching me walk back and forth, I quickly realized that I didn't have what it takes. I did learn a lot of other things about myself at this fitting as well. My right leg is longer than my left, which I would like to think means something significant, but I think I ultimately have to chalk it up to genetics. I also learned that shoes made for larger framed people feel more supportive (does this say something about me?), but I decided to go with the lighter feeling ones, maybe just for principle's sake. My lack of decision making skills was also reinforced as I tried on a few pairs of shoes back and forth. But I did feel better when the guy that was helping me said the longest he had spent with a customer was 2 1/2 hours. For some reason, that helped me to make my decision right away. Thanks to Alison and Cheri who helped make this a $2 purchase for me and gave me countless experiences (and self-esteem issues) in learning about how I walk.

No comments: